Skip to main content

Facing the Wall of Bureaucracy: Refusing to Be Silenced


Advocating for change in a system as complex and flawed as the prison system often feels like facing an immovable wall. Each week, I reach out to officials, organizations, and agencies, laying out the injustices and systemic failures that impact my husband and countless others. But instead of real solutions, I receive a series of “textbook” responses — words that sound polite but ultimately go nowhere. They acknowledge my concerns without actually addressing them, leaving the issues unresolved and justice out of reach.

The cycle is as predictable as it is infuriating. I express concern about Ryan’s neglected medical needs, the ongoing retaliation he faces, and the limitations placed on our communication. They reply with deflections, suggesting I contact vendors or blaming Ryan for his own mistreatment. They assure me that “appropriate monitoring” is in place while sidestepping the real issues at hand. The message is clear: they’re hoping I’ll give up, that I’ll stop questioning, that I’ll fall silent.

But they’ve underestimated the power of persistence.

This isn’t just about Ryan; it’s about standing up for the basic rights of every individual within this broken system. Each “standard” response only strengthens my resolve to push back harder, to make them listen, to break down the bureaucratic wall that protects neglect and abuse. Advocacy isn’t just about filing complaints and waiting for a response; it’s about refusing to be silenced by an indifferent system. Every ignored email, every deflected question, every polite brush-off only fuels my determination.

The sad reality is that too many families face this same struggle. Loved ones on the outside fight tirelessly, only to be met with generic replies and empty promises. And while the system hopes our voices will fade, we have the power to come together, amplify each other’s experiences, and demand real change.

I’m not giving up. I’ll continue to speak out, to call for accountability, and to fight for justice. Because this journey isn’t just about seeking temporary fixes; it’s about transforming a system that has long been allowed to operate in the shadows.

“Let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream.” — Amos 5:24

For more on my journey and advocacy: 📖 Read my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DDQ5M3HV
🌐 Follow my work: https://linktr.ee/EppersonEmpowerment

#PowerOfOurVoices #EppersonEmpowerment #JusticeForAll #BreakingTheSilence #SystemicNeglect #FightForJustice #AdvocacyInAction #PerseveranceInAdvocacy #NoMoreEmptyPromises

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...