Skip to main content

The Echo Chamber of Bureaucracy: Fighting for Change in a Broken System

 

Every week, I send out emails and make calls, fighting to address the systemic neglect and violations that impact my husband and so many others within the prison system. I lay out the details — medical neglect, inadequate living conditions, blocked communication, and blatant retaliation — and hope for real answers. Instead, what I receive is a rotation of dismissive responses that often fail to address the urgent needs I’ve outlined. The pattern is so predictable it’s almost surreal: it feels as though I’m talking to an echo chamber of bureaucracy, where issues are acknowledged but never remedied.

Over the past few months, I’ve shared my concerns about the failures in Ryan’s medical treatment, including his untreated PTSD, malnutrition, and need for genetic testing to ensure proper medication. Each response follows the same formula: a scripted acknowledgment, a reminder to submit health requests he’s already submitted, and assurances that the system is "monitoring" his condition. No real solutions, no accountability, just a cycle of “textbook” replies meant to placate without actual action.

Recently, I even reached out to the Governor’s office, hoping for intervention at a higher level. But once again, my inquiry was routed back through the same channels, resulting in the same evasive responses. They ask for “more details” when the details have been in front of them for weeks, AND sent as attachments numerous times. They deflect responsibility, suggesting I contact private vendors for service failures that affect Ryan’s ability to communicate with me. The response to his complaints of retaliation? “Provide evidence.” But how can I provide evidence when every attempt to hold the facility accountable is dismissed or deflected?

The tragic reality is that this isn’t just about Ryan. It’s a widespread issue in a system designed to silence and oppress. The outside world needs to understand the severity of the neglect and abuse that occur within these walls, where people are stripped not only of their freedom but of their dignity and basic rights.

Every email, every call, every formal response is a reminder that this fight is not just for one person — it’s a fight for a humane and just system. I am determined to keep raising my voice, no matter how many "textbook" responses I receive. This journey is about more than temporary fixes; it’s about creating lasting change in a system that has long refused to reform.

“Let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream.” — Amos 5:24

For more on my journey and advocacy: 📖 Read my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0DDQ5M3HV
🌐 Follow my work: https://linktr.ee/EppersonEmpowerment

#PowerOfOurVoices #EppersonEmpowerment #JusticeForAll #BreakingTheSilence #SystemicNeglect #AdvocacyForChange #FightForJustice #PerseveranceInAdvocacy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...