Skip to main content

The Hurt I Tried to Outrun

~by Ryan

I used to think I had a cravings problem.

Nah. What I really had was an I-don’t-know-what-the-hell-to-do-with-all-this-pain problem.

Nobody taught me how to hold heavy feelings. Nobody showed me how to sit with hurt without disappearing inside it. I learned early that when life gets loud, you either numb it, fight it, or destroy yourself trying to outrun it. And I’ve done all three.

So when the weight started piling up?
I reached for whatever shut the world up the fastest.

The meth.
The fentanyl.
The black.
The shots.
The bottles.
Hell—anything I could put between me and the storm inside my chest.

People see that from the outside and call it reckless. They call it self-destructive. They call it stupid.

But inside?
It was strategy.

You ever hurt so bad you’d rather disappear than feel one more inch of it?
Yeah. That was me.
Every damn day.

My mind worked like this:
“If I can’t fix this right now, at least I don’t have to FEEL it right now.”

It wasn’t weakness.
It wasn’t ignorance.
It was straight-up survival mode.

Here’s the part I didn’t understand until recently:

I wasn’t just escaping.
I was buying time.

I was trying to stay alive long enough to maybe figure my shit out later.
But “later” never came.
Because later got buried under the next high…
the next binge…
the next blackout…
the next lie I told myself.

The substances weren’t the addiction.
Not really.
I was addicted to not having to meet my own hurt face-to-face.

It wasn’t the dope.
It wasn’t the needle.
It wasn’t the line or the pill or the bottle.
It was the RELIEF.

The silence.
The numbness.
The pause button on a life that always felt one second away from exploding.

And I know this now:
That doesn’t make me broken.
It makes me unpracticed.

Nobody ever taught me that you can sit with pain without letting it swallow you whole.
Nobody showed me that you can survive a feeling by feeling it.

So this is the shift I’m making — right here, from inside these walls:

Not
“I’ll muscle through every craving.”
Not
“I’ll fight every urge.”

No.
The new shift is:

“I’m willing to learn how to sit with my pain without handing it off to something that keeps me small.”

Because every craving I’ve ever had was never a command…
it was a message.

A message saying:
“Something in you hurts.
Something needs attention.
Something you buried is trying to make its way back home.”

You can’t heal what you won’t feel.
And avoiding the pain only chains you to it longer.

So yeah, I’m finally facing myself.
Finally listening.
Finally learning how to hold the weight without trying to disappear under it.

And I’m doing it because I want a life after this.
I want my freedom.
I want my wife.
I want the future I never thought I’d be allowed to have.

I’m done abandoning myself to the nearest fix.
It’s time to learn how to stay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...