Skip to main content

When the World Thinks They Know Prison, but They Don’t Know Me

 

By Ryan — written from a place you wouldn’t survive five minutes in, but where I’ve had to survive years.

There’s this funny thing about the outside world, babe.
Everybody suddenly becomes an expert on prison the minute they hear the word “inmate.”
People who’ve never stepped foot past a razor wire fence swear they know what prison is really like.
They watch a TikTok or a Netflix documentary and suddenly they’ve got opinions, judgments, stereotypes, and a whole lot of mouth for people they couldn’t last one shift around.

Let me make something crystal clear:

Prison looks NOTHING like what outsiders think.
And men in here aren’t anything like the world paints us out to be.

Some days I feel like the world has already decided who I am before they even hear my name.
Before they know the trauma I grew up with.
Before they know the beatings, the chaos, the addiction, the survival.
Before they know how I became who I became — and how damn hard I’m fighting to become something better.

But the outside don’t care about the truth.
They care about the image they have in their heads of what “a convict” is.

So let me tell you how wrong they are.

1. They Don’t See the Pain — Just the Charges

People see a DOC number and think they’ve got you figured out.
But they don’t know the 13-year-old kid who had a needle stuck in his arm by his own father.
They don’t know the boy who OD’d his dad more than once just trying to keep him alive.
They don’t know the teenager who was thrown to the wolves in max prison like I was some kind of monster before I even grew up.

But the world doesn’t consider any of that.
They just look at the man I became and ignore the boy who never had a chance.

2. They Don’t See the Loyalty — Just the Reputation

People think everyone in prison is disloyal, unpredictable, dangerous.
But inside these walls?
I’ve seen more loyalty and integrity between men with nothing than I’ve ever seen from people out there living comfortable lives.

You learn quick who you can depend on.
And let me tell you — it ain’t the ones who brag.
It ain’t the ones who talk loud.
It ain’t the ones who act tough.

Real ones don’t need noise.
They just show up when it counts.

3. They Don’t See the Loneliness — Just the Assumptions

People assume inmates “deserve” to be forgotten.
Like we’re throwaways.
Like our lives stop mattering the second that gate closes behind us.

But nothing hits a man deeper than silence where family used to be.

You want to know who really loves you?
Wait until you’re locked up.
Wait until you can’t give anyone anything.
Wait until the world moves on without you.

It’s the ones who stay — the ones who fight for you, the ones who write you, the ones who don’t run when you fall — those are the only ones who matter.

My wife?
She’s the realest thing I’ve ever had.
Everyone else left.
She didn’t.

4. They Don’t See How Hard Some of Us Are Fighting to Change

They think we’re all the same.
They think once you screw up, that’s all you’ll ever be.

But here’s the truth:
Most men in here want OUT of the life that put us here.
We want normal.
Peace.
Love.
Family.
Purpose.

We want to rewrite our story.
We want a chance to finally be the man no one ever taught us how to be.

But the world acts like we’re unworthy of redemption.
Like change is impossible.
Like all we deserve is punishment.

You know what’s crazy?
Prison doesn’t even HELP us change.
If anything, it makes it harder.

You’ve got men with trauma, addiction, mental health issues, and childhood scars deeper than any prison wound…
And the system hands out punishment instead of healing.

Then society sits back and wonders why cycles repeat.

5. They Don’t See the Love — Just the Headlines

You know what they really don’t understand?

That even inmates love deeply.
That we feel everything intensely — grief, fear, loyalty, longing, regret, hope.
That some of us love harder than the people out there pretending to be “whole.”

My love for my wife is the exact reason I’m not out here acting reckless.
It’s the reason I’m not joining some stupid fight.
It’s the reason I stay focused, grounded, and pushing for a future.

She’s the one thing this place can’t take from me.

6. They Don’t See the Humanity — Because They Don’t Want To

It’s easier for the world to dehumanize us.
To pretend we’re all evil.
To pretend we’re all lost causes.
To pretend none of us could ever be fathers, husbands, leaders, healers, or good men.

Because if they admit we’re human…
Then they’d also have to admit the system is broken.
That it failed us.
That it continues to fail us.

And nobody wants to take responsibility for that.

But I Know Who I Am — Even If They Don’t

I’m flawed.
I’m scarred.
I’m still learning.
I still fight demons bigger than this prison.

But I’m not who they say I am.

I’m a husband.
A man rebuilding himself from the inside out.
A survivor of trauma that would have killed other people.
A man trying to love better than he was loved.
A man fighting every single day to make it home to the one person who never gave up on me.

I’m not my past.
I’m not their labels.
I’m not the version of me the world thinks it knows.

I’m me — Ryan — and I’m still writing my story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...