Skip to main content

AZDOC Protects Its Image Better Than It Protects Outcomes

 

At some point, repeated failure stops looking like incompetence and starts looking like a choice. When the same problems persist despite decades of evidence, reports, and lived experience, the issue is no longer a lack of information. It’s a lack of willingness to change what threatens the institution’s image.

Arizona Department of Corrections is deeply invested in appearing effective. Metrics are polished. Language is carefully chosen. “Rehabilitation,” “accountability,” and “public safety” are repeated until they sound true, even when outcomes say otherwise. The system measures what makes it look functional, not what actually reduces harm.

This is why surface-level compliance is celebrated while deeper failures are ignored. It’s why write-up numbers matter more than emotional regulation, and why recidivism is framed as individual weakness instead of institutional feedback. A system that prioritized outcomes would be forced to confront uncomfortable truths about trauma, skill-building, and the limits of punishment. A system that prioritizes image avoids those conversations entirely.

Image protection shows up in how problems are explained away. When people fail after release, the narrative shifts immediately to personal responsibility. When programs don’t work, participation is blamed. When conditions cause harm, the harm is minimized. The institution stays intact because the failure is always externalized. Accountability is demanded everywhere except where real power sits.

This focus on image also explains the resistance to meaningful reform. Reform requires admitting that current practices don’t work. That admission threatens authority, funding, and public trust. So instead of changing the design, the system doubles down on enforcement and messaging. The optics stay clean while the outcomes rot underneath.

What gets lost in this process is the human cost. People cycle through the same system, experiencing deeper instability each time, while the institution points to rules followed and boxes checked. Families absorb the fallout. Communities inherit the damage. And the system continues to present itself as necessary and effective because its image remains intact.

If AZDOC were truly outcome-focused, success would be measured by what happens after release. Fewer returns. Better stability. Improved mental health. Real capacity to function without constant control. Those metrics would force a reckoning with how trauma is handled, how support is withheld, and how obedience has been mistaken for growth. But those metrics are harder to spin, so they remain secondary.

Protecting image is easier than protecting people. It requires less effort, less humility, and no structural change. But it also guarantees the same failures will repeat, because nothing foundational is ever addressed. The system survives. The damage continues.

Tomorrow, we’re going to talk about what real accountability would actually require from AZDOC—and why that kind of accountability has never been applied inward.

This isn’t cynicism.
It’s pattern recognition.

And the pattern has been consistent for a very long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...