Skip to main content

Systems Like AZDOC Don’t Collapse From Failure — They’re Stabilized By Incentives

When an institution produces the same negative outcomes for decades and still remains intact, the explanation isn’t mystery. It’s incentives.

Arizona Department of Corrections doesn’t survive because it’s flawless. It survives because its incentives are aligned with preservation, not transformation. Stability inside the system matters more than effectiveness outside of it.

Most people assume that if something isn’t working, it will eventually be forced to change. That assumption only holds true when failure threatens the institution’s core incentives. In AZDOC’s case, it rarely does.

Funding isn’t primarily tied to long-term rehabilitation success. Authority isn’t granted based on post-release stability. Promotions aren’t structured around reduced recidivism years down the line. Instead, incentives are tied to maintaining order, managing populations, and avoiding visible crises. As long as the prison operates without major disruption, the system is considered functional.

This is why incremental reforms can be absorbed without destabilizing anything. As long as daily operations continue, as long as incidents are contained, as long as the public doesn’t perceive chaos, the institutional machinery keeps moving. Outcomes beyond the gate—mental health, employment stability, family reintegration—exist outside the immediate incentive structure.

Incentives shape behavior. That applies to individuals, and it applies to institutions. If a system is rewarded for control, it will perfect control. If it is rarely penalized for long-term failure, long-term failure becomes background noise instead of an urgent threat.

There’s also political insulation at play. Prisons are physically distant from most voters. The people most affected by failure often have the least influence over policy decisions. When the consequences are concentrated in already marginalized communities, public pressure diffuses. Stability is preserved not because harm is absent, but because harm is unevenly distributed.

What would actually destabilize a system like this isn’t criticism alone. It would be a shift in incentives. Funding tied directly to post-release outcomes. Oversight mechanisms with real authority. Public metrics that prioritize long-term success over short-term order. When incentives change, behavior follows. Without that shift, surface adjustments won’t alter the core function.

Systems don’t protect themselves out of emotion. They protect themselves because the structure rewards preservation. That’s why collapse rarely comes from evidence alone. Evidence has to connect to incentive disruption before anything truly shifts.

Tomorrow, we’re going to talk about what incentive disruption would realistically look like — and why it’s harder than most reform conversations admit.

This isn’t cynicism.
It’s systems theory.

And systems respond to incentives, not intentions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...