Skip to main content

What It Says About the System When People Heal In Spite of It

 

There’s a quiet truth most institutions don’t like examined too closely: growth often happens around the system, not because of it.

Arizona Department of Corrections speaks frequently about rehabilitation. Programs are cited. Completion certificates are counted. Success stories are highlighted. But when you look closely at real transformation — the kind that lasts — it rarely traces back to enforcement.

It traces back to human connection.

It’s the mentor who listens instead of disciplines.
The volunteer who treats someone like a person instead of a case number.
The family member who refuses to withdraw support.
The peer who challenges destructive thinking without humiliation.

Those aren’t structural features. They’re human ones.

When someone begins regulating their emotions, taking ownership of their behavior, and thinking long-term instead of reactively, it’s almost never because punishment forced insight. It’s because safety allowed reflection. Accountability works when it’s paired with dignity. Discipline without dignity produces compliance. Dignity produces change.

This is the part the system doesn’t fully own. Because if real growth depends on relationships and internal work — not just rules — then control isn’t the engine of rehabilitation. Environment is.

And here’s the contradiction: if people are capable of healing even inside a rigid, control-first structure, that says more about human resilience than institutional design. It means the potential was always there. The system didn’t create it. At best, it failed to extinguish it.

That distinction matters.

Because when growth happens despite the structure, not because of it, it exposes the limits of the model. It shows that transformation is relational and psychological, not mechanical. You cannot punish someone into self-awareness. You cannot enforce someone into emotional regulation. Those skills develop in spaces where vulnerability isn’t weaponized.

The irony is that institutions often claim credit for outcomes that occurred at the margins. A program facilitator. A chaplain. A support group. A letter-writing relationship. The structure didn’t build the change — but it absorbs the narrative when change occurs.

The deeper question isn’t whether people can grow inside prison. They can. The question is whether the design consistently supports that growth — or whether it relies on exceptional individuals to compensate for systemic gaps.

When healing requires personal resilience to overcome environmental rigidity, it tells you the environment isn’t optimized for healing.

Tomorrow, we’re going to look at what a system would look like if it were intentionally designed around the conditions that actually produce growth — not just the conditions that produce order.

This isn’t sentimental.
It’s observational.

And observation doesn’t need outrage to be sharp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...