Skip to main content

I Didn’t Set Out to Write Three Books. I Was Trying to Survive.


There are now three books with my name on them.

Even after writing that sentence, part of me still wants to look over my shoulder and ask, “Who, me?”

Yes. Me.

The woman who has written through tears, anger, fear, exhaustion, love, disappointment, recovery, incarceration, and more unanswered emails than any sane person should ever have to send.

The woman who has questioned herself, lost pieces of herself, fought to reclaim them, and then sat down at a computer and tried to turn what she learned into something another person could hold in her hands.

I did not set out to write three books.

I was trying to survive.

These Books Were Not Born From a Perfect Life

I did not write these books from some peaceful office with sunlight pouring through the windows while inspirational music played softly in the background.

That sounds lovely, but that was not my reality.

These books were written in the middle of real life.

They were written while loving a man behind prison walls.

They were written while learning how deeply addiction can affect a person, a marriage, and everyone who loves the person struggling.

They were written while trying to understand systems that often seem intentionally confusing.

They were written while saving screenshots, researching policies, sending emails, documenting patterns, and refusing to accept silence as an answer.

They were written while working toward my third master’s degree, living with my own physical limitations, helping other women navigate their battles, and trying to hold on to my marriage through phone calls, institutional restrictions, and distance.

They were written while I was still living the lessons inside them.

That matters to me.

I am not writing as someone who has floated peacefully above pain and now has a neat little list of instructions for everyone else.

I am writing as someone who has been inside it.

Someone who has made mistakes.

Someone who has loved fiercely, stayed too long in some situations, fought too hard in others, doubted herself, rebuilt herself, and learned that healing is rarely a straight line.

These books are not proof that I have everything figured out.

They are proof that I refused to let everything I survived remain meaningless.

Prison Wife 101

Prison Wife 101 came from a life I never expected to live.

I once worked inside the Arizona prison system as a correctional officer.

Now I am married to a man incarcerated within that same system.

There is no simple way to explain what it feels like to stand on both sides of those walls.

I have seen the system from the perspective of an employee. I now experience it as a wife who loves someone inside it, worries about his safety, fights for his medical care, questions disciplinary procedures, tracks missing paperwork, studies policies, documents contradictions, and learns over and over again that families are often expected to endure the consequences of incarceration quietly.

Becoming a prison wife changed the way I understood everything.

Marriage.

Loyalty.

Loneliness.

Advocacy.

Power.

Time.

Trust.

Even the sound of a telephone ringing.

Most people can call their spouse whenever they need comfort, clarification, reassurance, or simply a familiar voice.

A prison wife cannot do that.

Our conversations may be monitored, interrupted, disconnected, or limited by schedules we do not control. A disagreement may remain unresolved because the call ends. A crisis may happen inside, and the person on the outside may not learn about it until hours or days later.

You begin measuring love in strange ways.

Minutes on a phone.

Letters.

Messages.

Approved visits.

Denied visits.

Miles traveled.

Documents saved.

Calls answered even when you are exhausted because you know another one is never guaranteed.

Prison Wife 101 was written for the women living that reality.

It was written for the woman staring at her phone, waiting.

For the woman trying to understand a system nobody explained to her.

For the woman whose friends and family ask why she stays.

For the woman who loves someone incarcerated but does not want incarceration to erase her own identity.

For the woman who is tired of being judged for a relationship other people have never had to live.

I wrote it because prison families are often talked about, but rarely listened to.

I wanted prison wives to see themselves on the page and realize:

You are not foolish because you love someone in prison. You are not weak because this life hurts. You are not alone just because the system has made you feel invisible.

Empowerment Through Recovery

Empowerment Through Recovery grew from another painful reality: addiction does not only affect the person using.

It reaches into relationships, families, trust, finances, communication, identity, and hope.

It makes people question what is real.

It can turn love into fear, concern into control, promises into disappointment, and hope into something that feels dangerous to hold.

Addiction is often described in ways that are either painfully clinical or brutally judgmental.

People are told to “just stop.”

Families are told to “just walk away.”

Relapse is treated like proof that nothing worked.

The person struggling is reduced to the worst thing they have done, while the people who love them are left trying to determine where compassion ends and self-destruction begins.

I wanted to write about recovery in a way that made room for truth.

The truth that addiction changes the brain.

The truth that recovery requires far more than simply removing a substance.

The truth that relapse can be part of the journey without becoming an excuse for continued harm.

The truth that loving someone does not mean rescuing them from every consequence.

The truth that boundaries and compassion can exist in the same relationship.

The truth that families need healing too.

Recovery is not only about staying alive.

It is about learning how to live.

It is about rebuilding identity, repairing relationships where possible, developing new coping skills, understanding triggers, creating structure, and finding a reason to stop running from yourself.

It is also about recognizing that the person supporting someone in recovery cannot disappear in the process.

You cannot save another person by abandoning yourself.

I wrote Empowerment Through Recovery because addiction creates so much shame, and shame keeps people hiding.

Healing begins when someone is finally able to tell the truth without believing that truth makes them unworthy of recovery.

I’m Done Letting Them

I’m Done Letting Them came from the part of me that became tired of being told that peace required silence.

There is a popular idea that we should simply “let them.”

Let people misunderstand us.

Let people leave.

Let people show us who they are.

Let people make their choices.

There is wisdom in releasing what we cannot control.

But there is also a dangerous version of that message.

The version that tells people to remain passive while they are being mistreated.

The version that turns silence into maturity.

The version that tells women to tolerate disrespect because reacting might make them appear difficult.

The version that makes self-abandonment sound spiritual, peaceful, or emotionally evolved.

There is a difference between releasing control and surrendering your voice.

There is a difference between choosing peace and accepting harm.

There is a difference between allowing someone to make their own choices and allowing those choices to destroy you without consequence.

For much of my life, I believed strength meant enduring more.

Being more patient.

Giving another chance.

Explaining myself better.

Trying harder.

Forgiving faster.

Making myself smaller so other people did not have to feel uncomfortable with the damage they caused.

Eventually, I had to ask myself a painful question:

How many times can I betray myself in the name of loving someone else?

That question became a book.

I’m Done Letting Them is not about becoming bitter, cruel, or closed off.

It is about learning that boundaries are not punishment.

It is about recognizing that forgiveness does not automatically restore access.

It is about understanding that empathy for someone else’s pain does not require accepting the pain they cause you.

It is about refusing to call self-erasure love.

Sometimes the most loving thing you can do is stop participating in a pattern that is destroying everyone involved.

Sometimes peace does not come from remaining silent.

Sometimes peace begins when you finally say, “No more.”

Three Different Books, One Common Thread

At first glance, these books may appear to be about three separate subjects.

Incarceration.

Addiction and recovery.

Boundaries and self-abandonment.

But to me, they are deeply connected.

All three are about what happens when love becomes complicated.

What happens when you care deeply about someone but cannot control their choices?

What happens when a system has power over someone you love?

What happens when compassion begins costing you your identity?

What happens when you want to support another person without drowning beside them?

What happens when the woman who keeps everyone else standing finally admits that she is tired?

All three books are about survival—but not survival in the shallow sense of simply making it through another day.

They are about surviving without completely losing yourself.

They are about learning when to fight, when to release, when to speak, when to listen, and when to stop confusing suffering with devotion.

They are about finding your voice after life has taught you to question it.

I Wrote What I Needed to Read

There were so many moments when I needed someone to tell me the truth.

Not the polished truth.

Not the socially acceptable truth.

Not the version written to make everyone feel comfortable.

The real truth.

I needed someone to tell me that loving an incarcerated person could be beautiful and brutally lonely at the same time.

I needed someone to explain that addiction was not simply a moral failure, but also that understanding addiction did not require tolerating endless destruction.

I needed someone to say that boundaries were not proof that I had stopped loving someone.

I needed someone to tell me that strength was not measured by how much pain I could absorb without reacting.

I needed someone to remind me that my life still mattered, even when so much of it revolved around fighting for someone else.

So I wrote what I needed to read.

Maybe that is what writing has always been for me.

A way to take the things that nearly broke me and place them into words.

A way to organize chaos.

A way to document what others would rather forget.

A way to reach the woman sitting alone in her home, questioning whether anyone else understands what she is living.

A way to say:

Yes. Someone understands.

To Every Person Who Has Supported My Work

Every purchase matters to me.

Every review matters.

Every share matters.

Every message from someone who says, “I felt like you were writing about my life,” matters more than I can fully explain.

Independent authors do not have giant marketing departments behind us.

We have social media posts, word of mouth, friends who share our links, readers who leave reviews, and a stubborn belief that the right words will eventually find the people who need them.

When you buy one of my books, you are not only buying pages.

You are supporting the woman who wrote them.

You are supporting my ability to keep writing, researching, publishing, advocating, and telling stories that are too often ignored.

And when you leave an honest review, you help another reader decide whether one of those books may be what she needs.

That is no small thing.

I Am Proud of These Books

It is difficult for me to pause long enough to say that.

My mind usually moves straight to the next project, the next email, the next problem, the next book, or the next battle.

But today, I want to stop.

I wrote three books.

I took experiences that were painful, complicated, deeply personal, and sometimes humiliating, and I turned them into something that may help another person.

I did not wait until my life was perfect.

I did not wait until I had healed every wound.

I did not wait until I stopped being afraid of what people might think.

I wrote from the middle of it.

I wrote while learning.

I wrote while hurting.

I wrote while loving.

I wrote while fighting.

And I am proud.

Not because every page proves I have all the answers.

Because every page proves I did not give up.

Find My Books on Amazon

You can find all three of my books on Amazon:

Prison Wife 101
Empowerment Through Recovery
I’m Done Letting Them

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/stores/DeAnna-Epperson/author/B0H6NCYM7L?ref=ap_rdr&shoppingPortalEnabled=true&ccs_id=39aa1b34-3b58-421f-939a-05e93a14c87f

You can support my work by purchasing a book, sharing this post, recommending one to someone who may need it, or leaving an honest Amazon review after reading.

These may be my stories, my lessons, and my words.

But they were written for anyone who has ever loved someone through incarceration, addiction, separation, manipulation, recovery, grief, or change.

For anyone who has ever lost herself while trying to save someone else.

For anyone learning that survival is not the end of the story.

Sometimes survival becomes the first chapter of something new.

I did not set out to write three books.

I was trying to survive.

But somewhere along the way, survival gave me a voice.

And now I intend to use it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Another FBOP Failure: Tammy's Story — When “Funding” Becomes a Death Sentence

  Here we go again. Another woman, another broken promise behind razor wire. Another excuse that starts with “funding” and ends with neglect. Tammy’s story is not new. It’s not unique. And that’s the biggest tragedy of all. Because her life—and her vision—matter. And so does every other person sitting in a Federal Bureau of Prisons (FBOP) facility, hoping for even the most basic human care. Recently, Tammy reached out to share what’s been going on at her facility, and I think it speaks for itself: "Recently I wrote about how the BOP seems to be broke. They took away several items at food service due to funding—like the salad bar (which, by the way, was just plain lettuce mix and generic dressing), they’ve limited eggs (maybe understandable with the bird flu), and removed extra items like beans and rice. What I didn’t mention, but probably should have, is that my prison doesn’t even repurpose leftovers. They literally throw away pounds and pounds of food daily from our kitche...

Until You’ve Walked Through Those Gates, Sit Down and Be Quiet

-By DeAnna You see memes like this floating around all the time — the ones that crack jokes about how “good” inmates supposedly have it. You know the ones: they talk about sex three times a day, reading books, working out, and then “complaining” about prison life. People laugh, hit share, and feel smug because they think they know something about what it’s like inside. I used to be one of them. I used to think prison was “right.” I believed it was what people deserved if they broke the law. I repeated the clichés: “Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.” “Three hots and a cot.” “They’ve got it easy in there.” And then… I worked there. Let me tell you something: until you’ve walked through those locking gates — hearing that buzzer, watching that steel door slam behind you, feeling the air shift from free to suffocating — you don’t know a damn thing about prison. Until you’ve seen the reality — the mace, the gas grenades, the cell extractions that leave blood on the floor, the...