Skip to main content

I’ve Been Quiet. I Haven’t Been Gone.


I have not written here in a while.

Every time I thought about writing a new blog, I felt the weight of everything I had not yet said. There was so much of it that I did not know where to begin.

Do I begin with the prison?

The records requests, unanswered messages, missing paperwork, changing explanations, outdated handbooks, disciplinary appeals that seem to vanish, medical decisions made without medical appointments, and the endless task of documenting every single detail because I have learned that if I do not keep proof, someone will eventually claim it never happened?

Do I begin with my husband?

With loving a man I cannot simply reach for when I need him? With trying to hold a marriage together through scheduled phone calls, monitored conversations, interrupted connections, institutional rules, emotional exhaustion, and hundreds of miles of separation?

Do I begin with school?

With working toward my master’s degree while researching, writing, advocating, publishing, and trying to remember that my brain is not an unlimited storage unit, even though I regularly treat it like one?

Do I begin with the books?

Because somehow, in the middle of everything, I published three of them.

Three.

Even writing that feels strange.

There are three books carrying my name and pieces of my life out into the world. That should be the only thing I have to talk about. I should be celebrating loudly. I should be posting constantly. I should be proudly telling everyone what I accomplished.

And I am proud.

But pride and pain can live in the same body.

That is something people do not talk about enough.

You can be grateful and exhausted.

You can be successful and still scared.

You can accomplish something enormous and still cry because the person you want beside you cannot be there to experience it with you.

You can love someone deeply and still feel lonely.

You can be strong and still desperately need someone to ask whether you are okay, then stay long enough to hear the real answer.

My silence was never because life became peaceful.

It was because there was too much to carry and not enough room inside me to turn all of it into words.

Silence Does Not Always Mean Someone Has Nothing to Say

Sometimes silence means a person has so much to say that opening the door feels dangerous.

Because once it opens, everything might come pouring out.

The anger.

The fear.

The disappointment.

The love.

The resentment you feel guilty for having.

The victories you barely had time to celebrate before the next crisis arrived.

The things you want to say but cannot say publicly yet.

The things you have documented but are still trying to understand.

The things that hurt too much to explain to people who will respond with a casual, “I don’t know how you do it.”

The truth is, sometimes I do not know how I do it either.

I just do the next thing.

I send the email.

I save the screenshot.

I download the policy.

I compare the dates.

I write down what Ryan tells me.

I search for the rule they are claiming exists.

I help another wife draft a complaint because her husband is being treated the same way.

I answer messages from women who feel scared, confused, and completely alone.

I work on my books.

I complete my school assignments.

I take care of what needs to be handled in my own life.

Then I wake up and do it again.

From the outside, that may look like strength.

From the inside, it often feels like survival wearing a very convincing outfit.

I Have Been Building While I Was Breaking

There is a strange kind of grief that comes with becoming productive during the hardest seasons of your life.

People see the finished product.

They see the book cover.

They see the announcement.

They see the degree in progress.

They see the emails sent, the documents organized, the arguments researched, and the determination to keep going.

They do not always see what it cost to create those things.

They do not see me staring at a blank screen because my mind is racing in twelve different directions.

They do not see how many times I reread a message from the prison trying to determine whether it actually answered my question or simply rearranged enough official-sounding words to avoid answering anything at all.

They do not see the emotional crash after a difficult call.

They do not see the ache of wanting comfort from the same person who is also struggling to survive his own circumstances.

They do not see the guilt that comes when I feel frustrated with Ryan, because I know where he is and what he is enduring.

They do not see the guilt that comes when I am happy, because part of me feels wrong celebrating while he remains behind those walls.

They do not see how complicated it is to be proud of myself while also wishing my husband could witness the life I am building for us.

I have been building while I was breaking.

Maybe that sounds dramatic.

It is also true.

I have written pages while crying.

I have advocated while exhausted.

I have encouraged other women while wondering who was going to encourage me.

I have said, “We are going to figure this out,” while privately having no idea what the next step would be.

And somehow, we kept moving.

Not gracefully.

Not peacefully.

Certainly not quietly inside my own head.

But we kept moving.

Being a Prison Wife Means Living in Two Worlds

One part of my life exists out here.

Bills still come.

School deadlines still arrive.

Laundry still needs to be done.

Food still needs to be made.

My body still has limitations, whether life finds those limitations convenient or not.

The world continues moving as though nothing unusual is happening.

Then there is the other part of my life.

The part measured in phone calls, count times, custody levels, phases, disciplinary points, medical appointments, release dates, policy numbers, appeal forms, mail restrictions, and whether the tablet is working.

People on the outside get to end a disagreement by walking into another room.

Prison couples do not always have that luxury.

A phone call may end before anything is resolved.

A connection may drop.

The unit may lock down.

Someone may be standing close enough that neither person feels safe saying what they really need to say.

The automated voice may announce that the call is almost over while your marriage is still sitting in the middle of an unfinished conversation.

Then the line goes silent. "Thank you for using Securus. Good bye."

And you are left holding all the words that did not fit into the time you were given.

That kind of love changes you.

It teaches patience, but it can also test every ounce of patience you possess.

It teaches gratitude, because hearing someone’s voice can become the most important part of your day.

It teaches you how painful a voice can be when it is the only part of someone you are allowed to have.

It teaches you that missing a person who is still alive is its own particular kind of grief.

I wrote about that before.

I am still living it.

I Am Not Just Waiting

There is a common assumption that prison wives simply wait.

We wait for calls.

We wait for mail.

We wait for visits.

We wait for decisions.

We wait for transfers.

We wait for release dates.

We wait for the system to do what it claimed it would do.

And yes, there is a great deal of waiting.

But I am not just waiting.

I am working.

I am learning.

I am documenting.

I am creating.

I am building a future while fighting to protect the person I plan to share it with.

I am trying to turn what I have lived through into something useful for other people.

That is how my books happened.

They did not come from a quiet life or a perfectly organized plan.

They came from pain that needed somewhere to go.

They came from the questions I could not stop asking.

They came from realizing that too many women are suffering in silence because they believe no one will understand.

They came from the part of me that refuses to let everything I have endured become meaningless.

If my experiences can help another woman recognize a pattern, find her voice, understand addiction, survive incarceration, establish a boundary, or feel less alone, then the pain did not get the final word.

Strength Is Not the Same as Being Unaffected

I think people sometimes mistake strength for immunity.

They see a woman who keeps fighting and assume she does not get tired.

They see someone who knows how to write a firm email and assume she never doubts herself before hitting send.

They see advocacy and assume anger is enough to fuel it forever.

It is not.

Anger burns hot, but it does not always burn clean.

Eventually, the body keeps the receipt.

Strength does not mean I am unaffected.

It means I continue even though I am affected.

It means I have days when I am furious, discouraged, overwhelmed, lonely, or afraid, and I still refuse to abandon the things that matter to me.

It means I can admit that I am tired without surrendering.

It means I can love Ryan fiercely without pretending our circumstances do not hurt us.

It means I can acknowledge that this life has changed me.

Some of those changes have made me stronger.

Some have made me more guarded.

Some have made me sharper.

Some have made me sadder.

Some have made me far less willing to accept convenient explanations from people in positions of authority.

That last one may not be everyone’s favorite development.

I can live with that.

I Miss Who I Was Before Everything Became a Fight

There are moments when I miss the version of myself who did not automatically think about documentation.

The woman who did not save every email, screenshot every message, record every date, compare every policy, or wonder whether today’s explanation would contradict the one given last month.

I miss being able to hear, “We will look into it,” without immediately translating it into, “You may need to ask six more times.”

I miss believing that doing the right thing would naturally lead to the right outcome.

I know better now.

But knowing better does not always feel better.

Sometimes it simply means you see the machinery more clearly.

It means you recognize when confusion is being used as a shield.

It means you know that silence can be strategic.

It means you understand why so many people eventually stop asking questions.

They become exhausted.

That exhaustion is not accidental.

Systems do not always have to prove someone wrong. Sometimes they only have to wear them down long enough that they stop demanding an answer.

I understand that now.

I also understand why I cannot stop.

I Have Been Quiet, but I Have Not Been Gone

I have been writing.

I have been studying.

I have been researching.

I have been filing requests, saving records, comparing documents, and asking questions that people would often prefer I stop asking.

I have been helping other women find language for things they knew were wrong but did not know how to explain.

I have been working on the next book.

I have been trying to be a wife through circumstances that make marriage harder than it ever needed to be.

I have been learning how to celebrate my accomplishments without denying my grief.

I have been trying to make room for joy without feeling like joy is a betrayal of everything that still hurts.

Some days I have done that beautifully.

Other days, frankly, the wheels were held on with prayer, caffeine, stubbornness, and one emotionally supportive paper clip.

But they stayed on.

For now, that counts.

I am tired.

I am proud.

I am angry.

I am grateful.

I am hopeful.

I am scared.

I am still in love.

I am still writing.

I am still fighting.

And I am still here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Another FBOP Failure: Tammy's Story — When “Funding” Becomes a Death Sentence

  Here we go again. Another woman, another broken promise behind razor wire. Another excuse that starts with “funding” and ends with neglect. Tammy’s story is not new. It’s not unique. And that’s the biggest tragedy of all. Because her life—and her vision—matter. And so does every other person sitting in a Federal Bureau of Prisons (FBOP) facility, hoping for even the most basic human care. Recently, Tammy reached out to share what’s been going on at her facility, and I think it speaks for itself: "Recently I wrote about how the BOP seems to be broke. They took away several items at food service due to funding—like the salad bar (which, by the way, was just plain lettuce mix and generic dressing), they’ve limited eggs (maybe understandable with the bird flu), and removed extra items like beans and rice. What I didn’t mention, but probably should have, is that my prison doesn’t even repurpose leftovers. They literally throw away pounds and pounds of food daily from our kitche...

Until You’ve Walked Through Those Gates, Sit Down and Be Quiet

-By DeAnna You see memes like this floating around all the time — the ones that crack jokes about how “good” inmates supposedly have it. You know the ones: they talk about sex three times a day, reading books, working out, and then “complaining” about prison life. People laugh, hit share, and feel smug because they think they know something about what it’s like inside. I used to be one of them. I used to think prison was “right.” I believed it was what people deserved if they broke the law. I repeated the clichés: “Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.” “Three hots and a cot.” “They’ve got it easy in there.” And then… I worked there. Let me tell you something: until you’ve walked through those locking gates — hearing that buzzer, watching that steel door slam behind you, feeling the air shift from free to suffocating — you don’t know a damn thing about prison. Until you’ve seen the reality — the mace, the gas grenades, the cell extractions that leave blood on the floor, the...