Skip to main content

The Violation of Inmates' 8th Amendment Rights


The 8th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution prohibits "cruel and unusual punishments." Yet, in our prisons, this right is often disregarded. Overcrowding, inadequate medical care, excessive use of force, and dehumanizing conditions are just a few of the ways inmates' rights are violated every day.

When we think of the 8th Amendment, we often imagine extreme cases of physical abuse, but the reality is far more pervasive. Consider this: denying inmates access to proper healthcare—whether for physical ailments or mental health needs—can be a form of cruel and unusual punishment. Allowing the spread of violence, turning a blind eye to sexual assault, and forcing people to live in unsanitary, dangerous conditions are all violations of this constitutional right.

As someone who once worked on the inside and now stands on the outside advocating for change, I've witnessed firsthand how these violations aren't just isolated incidents. They are symptoms of a broken system that prioritizes punishment over rehabilitation, retribution over humanity.

Every day, men and women behind bars are subjected to conditions that strip them of their dignity and violate their rights. This isn't just a failure of the system—it's a failure of society to uphold the basic human rights guaranteed to every individual, regardless of their past.

It's time we confront these issues head-on. We need to push for reforms that protect inmates' rights and ensure that our prisons aren't just places of punishment, but places where people can rehabilitate and reenter society with dignity.

Micah 6:8 (NIV): “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”

Join me in advocating for change. Share this post, comment your thoughts, and follow my journey as I work to shed light on these injustices. Together, we can fight for a system that upholds the rights of every human being.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...