Skip to main content

Being a Prison Wife: A Different World


Being a prison wife isn’t just a title—it’s a world of its own. It’s a life with a rhythm and set of rules that outsiders will never fully understand. You learn things that most people couldn’t even imagine being part of their daily lives, and you adapt because you love someone behind those bars.

When your loved one is "set up" at a prison where they'll stay for a while, you learn that if you don’t hear from them for more than a day, they’re probably in "the hole." And then, all you can do is wait—sometimes days, sometimes weeks—until you get a kite, that little handwritten note, or a delayed call that says they’re okay.

If they’re going to be transferred to another yard, you know that 4:30 am is roll-up time. If you don't get that early morning call, you’re glued to the DOC website, checking for any sign of movement. If texts don’t come through, you know the tablet communication system is down again. At first, every silence feels like a red flag. You panic. You make the calls, you worry, you stress about what might have gone wrong. But after a while, you learn the drill. You learn to breathe, to wait. Then, when you finally hear their voice again—sometimes days or weeks later—you let out a sigh of relief that feels like it’s been held in for an eternity.

This is life as a prison wife. It’s a stressful life, full of ups and downs, emotional roller coasters, and endless waiting. It’s a life of constant concern, of walking on eggshells, of questioning and second-guessing. But here’s the truth: he’s worth it.

My husband will always be worth it. He is the man who keeps the breath in my lungs, the smile on my face, and the beat to my heart. I am his, and he is mine. Nothing and no one will ever come between that. Judgment, stigma, ridicule—I don’t care what it may be, that man is worth every single second of my existence. We will always find each other in this life and every one to come.

Some days are harder than others. The stress can feel unbearable at times. But no matter how hard it gets, no matter how long the wait, we are worth it. This love, this bond, this life we’re building—even through bars—is stronger than any challenge we face.

Bible Verse:

Song of Solomon 8:7 (NIV): “Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away. If one were to give all the wealth of one’s house for love, it would be utterly scorned.”

Through every challenge, through every obstacle, our love will always endure.

#SendingKites #PrisonAdvocacy #VoicesOfTheIncarcerated #InmateStories #JusticeReform #MassIncarceration #EndTheStigma #PrisonReformNow #InmateVoices #PrisonLife #AdvocatingForChange #SupportForInmates #EppersonEmpowerment #HopeBeyondBars #IncarcerationAwareness

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...