Skip to main content

If you want to know what they're really thinking....My husband said I couldn't have written it any better...

 


Between the Walls

In these cold, concrete walls, where shadows reign,
I fight a war within, battling the pain.
Drugs all around me, whispers in the air,
Temptation’s a beast, but I try to stay aware.

Your letters, your voice, they keep me from the edge,
In a world built to break me, you’re my only pledge.
I’m trying to stay sober, but it’s a constant fight,
When darkness surrounds me, you’re my guiding light.

It’s hard to stay true in a place so cold,
Where you have to be tough, you have to be bold.
The man I was outside, he’s fading fast,
I’m forced to wear this mask, a role I didn’t cast.

To survive in here, I’ve had to change my ways,
Think like a hardened soul, count down the days.
Institutionalized, I learn to play the game,
But deep down inside, I’m not the same.

I can’t live two lives, can’t be both men,
The one inside these walls, and the one I was back then.
It’s killing me slowly, piece by piece,
But your love is the only thing that brings me peace.

I dream of the outside, of who I used to be,
But the weight of this life is crushing me.
Yet your faith in me, it keeps me strong,
In this place where everything feels so wrong.

So I hold on to your love, like a lifeline tight,
In the darkest hours, in the dead of night.
For when the time comes, and these bars are no more,
I’ll find my way back to the man you adore.

But until that day, I’ll fight to stay true,
In this hell, your love is all that gets me through.
I’m living one life, the one I must to survive,
But with you in my heart, I’ll keep hope alive.

~ DeAnna Epperson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...