Skip to main content

Reclaiming My Voice: Healing Through Speaking Out

 

There’s something incredibly powerful about reclaiming the voice I once felt I had to silence. For years, I kept so much bottled up, not just because I didn’t know how to say it, but because I wasn’t sure anyone would listen. After spending so long in an environment where control and silence went hand in hand, I’ve had to relearn what it means to speak up. And now, every time I do, it feels like a piece of my soul is healing.

When I look back, I realize how much the prison system demanded silence. It wasn’t just a job—it was a world where keeping quiet felt like a necessity. If you wanted to survive, you couldn’t challenge the system. You couldn’t question the injustices happening around you, because doing so meant risking everything. And so, I stayed silent, even though deep down, the guilt of not speaking up weighed heavy on me.

Now, in this new chapter of my life, I’ve realized that my silence doesn’t have to define me. In fact, every word I write now is a declaration of freedom — freedom from the guilt, freedom from the fear, and freedom from the belief that I can’t make a difference. Speaking out has become my form of healing.

Part of this journey also involves actively advocating for my husband’s rights. He’s been subjected to cruel conditions and violations within the prison system, where his medical needs are ignored, and every step I take to advocate for him results in more retaliation against him. I’ve had to reach out to multiple state authorities, demanding investigations and accountability for the systemic issues at play. This is more than just a personal fight; it’s a fight for everyone trapped in a system designed to silence and oppress.

The truth is, the outside world has no idea what their tax dollars are not paying for. The prison system claims to rehabilitate, but it falls drastically short, leaving broken individuals with no real opportunities for healing or growth. The neglect is real, and the people who suffer within those walls are human beings who deserve dignity, care, and the chance to rebuild their lives.

Now, in this chapter of my life, I refuse to be silenced any longer. Every voice counts in this fight, and together, we can make a difference for those who are too often forgotten. I will continue to speak out for the ones still trapped in silence, for the ones who haven’t yet found the courage to reclaim their voice.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." — John 1:5

#PowerOfOurVoices #EppersonEmpowerment #FromGuardToWife #ReclaimingMyVoice #HealingThroughTruth #SpeakingOut #BreakingTheSilence #AdvocacyForJustice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...