Skip to main content

Shining a Light on a Broken System


Advocating for change in the prison system is like pushing against a wall that doesn’t want to budge. Every day, I face the same harsh reality: a system built to “rehabilitate” is failing those it’s meant to serve. My husband’s story is just one example, and unfortunately, it is far from unique. The more I uncover about the conditions he and countless others endure, the more I feel compelled to speak out. This is not just about justice for him; it’s about justice for every individual who has been abandoned by a system that’s supposed to be about second chances, not perpetual punishment.

Recently, I’ve had to contact various state officials, demanding accountability for the conditions my husband faces. It’s astonishing how difficult it can be to get answers, and even more shocking how often these basic human rights are ignored. From inadequate medical care to the mental health needs that go unaddressed, this system is not only neglectful—it’s actively harmful. For many of these individuals, rehabilitation has been replaced by a constant struggle for survival.

One of the most painful realizations has been understanding just how little the outside world knows about what their tax dollars are not funding. Rehabilitation programs are scarce, medical neglect is rampant, and basic safety is not even a guarantee. People are sent to these institutions under the belief that they’ll be given a chance to reform, but instead, they’re stripped of their dignity and often left worse than they arrived.

My fight is not just for my husband; it’s for everyone affected by this broken system. I’m calling on anyone who reads this to join me in this fight. It’s time for us to stand together and demand better from the system that claims to serve our communities. We need every voice we can get, every person willing to see beyond the surface, and every heart ready to care about those society has forgotten.

This journey is far from easy, but the more I speak up, the more I find my strength. Together, we can shine a light on the truth and create the pressure needed to force real change.

“Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” — Proverbs 31:9

#PowerOfOurVoices #EppersonEmpowerment #JusticeForAll #BrokenSystem #PrisonReform #StandForChange #AdvocacyInAction

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...