Skip to main content

A Year of Resilience: Finding Strength Amidst Challenges



We want to start by apologizing for the temporary break in posting. It’s been a whirlwind of a year, filled with challenges and changes that have kept us incredibly busy. A lot has been going on, and it’s time to share some updates and reflections.

My husband’s journey through the prison system has been anything but stable. Since his transfer from county jail, he has been in three different prisons. Two of them, privately owned by CoreCivic, have been plagued by drug issues beyond anything I could have imagined. These conditions have been disheartening, but we have remained steadfast in advocating for change and exposing the brokenness of the system.

Thankfully, he has now reached a facility with significantly fewer drug problems. I’m thrilled to share that he has stayed 100% clean for a whole year, despite the overwhelming temptations and challenges he’s faced. His strength and determination amaze me every day. Even with this progress, it hasn’t been an easy road—he’s been jumped twice and badly beaten once. But he’s resilient, and together we continue to count down the days: just 1,743 left (said with all the sarcasm I can muster).

On my end, I’ve finally found myself living in a safe place, which has been a significant step forward. However, safety doesn’t mean the battles are over. I am still being cyber-stalked by a 73-year-old man who previously sexually harassed me. Navigating this situation has been draining, but I refuse to let it overshadow the progress I’ve made.

This past year has taught me so much about myself and others. I’ve learned the value of setting boundaries and the peace that comes from embracing a very small, trusted circle. My husband is my #1 person, my anchor, and the one constant in a world that often feels chaotic. Together, we’re pushing through the hardships, holding on to hope, and fighting for better days ahead.

“The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” – Psalm 34:18

Thank you to everyone who has stood by us, supported our advocacy work, and sent encouragement our way. Your love and kindness mean more than words can express. We promise to keep speaking out, sharing updates, and fighting for change.

What lessons or reflections have you gained from your own challenges this past year? Let’s keep the conversation going.

#EppersonEmpowerment #Powerofourvoicesllc #Powerofourvoices #POV #PrisonAdvocacy #JusticeReform #AdvocacyForChange

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...