Skip to main content

"When the Gatekeeper Becomes the Supplier: A Stark Reminder of Systemic Failures in Our Prisons"


In a disheartening revelation that underscores the vulnerabilities within our correctional institutions, a counselor at Arizona's Lewis Prison, Berman Comon, was arrested on January 3, 2025. Comon, holding the position of Correctional Officer III (COIII), was charged with smuggling drugs and contraband cellphones into the Rast Unit of the prison .ABC15 Arizona in Phoenix (KNXV)

The role of a COIII is distinct from that of a standard correctional officer, primarily focusing on counseling and program advising for inmates. This position inherently provides greater access to inmates, a trust that Comon allegedly exploited for personal gain. Reports indicate he received $5,000 per trip to introduce drugs into the facility, cleverly concealing them inside large styrofoam cups and an ice machine to bypass security measures.ABC15 Arizona in Phoenix (KNXV)

The operation was not limited to Comon alone. Three inmates were reportedly involved in packaging the drugs within Comon's office and distributing them to other inmates. Further complicating the network, Joy Cuevas, the wife of one of the implicated inmates, is accused of acting as a "middleman supplier," facilitating the flow of narcotics into the prison. A search of Cuevas' residence uncovered 262 grams of heroin, prison-style cellphones, and drug packaging paraphernalia.

The Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation, and Reentry (ADCRR) responded promptly, terminating Comon's employment on the day of his arrest. In a statement, the department emphasized its commitment to integrity and accountability, asserting that no individual is above the law, regardless of tenure or position.

A Broader Reflection on Systemic Issues

This incident is not an isolated case but rather a symptom of deeper systemic issues plaguing our correctional facilities. The infiltration of contraband, especially narcotics, into prisons highlights significant lapses in security protocols and oversight. Moreover, it raises concerns about the recruitment, training, and monitoring of prison staff.

The involvement of a counselor—a figure meant to guide and rehabilitate inmates—in such illicit activities is particularly troubling. It not only jeopardizes the safety and well-being of inmates and staff but also undermines the rehabilitative mission of the correctional system.

The Human Cost

Beyond the institutional implications, there is a profound human cost. Inmates, many of whom are striving for rehabilitation and reintegration into society, are exposed to harmful substances, derailing their progress and exacerbating addiction issues. Families of inmates suffer as their loved ones are subjected to environments rife with corruption and danger.

Moving Forward

Addressing these challenges requires a multifaceted approach:

  1. Enhanced Screening and Monitoring: Implementing rigorous background checks and continuous monitoring of prison staff can deter potential misconduct.

  2. Robust Security Measures: Upgrading surveillance and inspection protocols can help detect and prevent the smuggling of contraband.

  3. Support Systems for Staff: Providing adequate support and addressing the pressures faced by correctional officers can reduce susceptibility to corruption.

  4. Transparent Accountability: Establishing clear channels for reporting and addressing misconduct ensures that violations are promptly and effectively dealt with.

The case of Berman Comon serves as a stark reminder of the vulnerabilities within our correctional system. It underscores the urgent need for comprehensive reforms to safeguard the integrity of our institutions and the well-being of those within them.

For more details on this case, refer to the original report by ABC15: Lewis Prison corrections officer arrested, accused of selling drugs to inmates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...