Skip to main content

This Ain’t Rehabilitation – It’s Survival


— by Ryan

You wanna know what prison’s really like?
Not the movie version. Not the watered-down “justice system” fantasy they sell you in court.
I’m talking about the real inside.

It ain’t about rehabilitation.
It’s about survival.

You walk into these gates, and you’re immediately forced to choose:
Fold or fight.
Ain’t no in-between.

The gangs? Yeah, they’re real. They run the yards, the dayrooms, the cells.
It don’t matter if you came in quiet, kept to yourself.
Eventually, someone’s going to test you.
And if you don’t stand up? You’re food.
Straight up. You’re someone else’s property.

I’ve seen men get jumped just for looking too long.
For saying the wrong thing.
For not saying anything at all.
You can catch a beatdown just for where you're from, who you talk to, or how fast you move on the tier.

And then there’s the dope.
Yeah, it’s in here. Don’t let anyone tell you different.
Some of it comes in through visits.
But a lot of it? Comes in with staff.
That’s the dirty truth they don’t want to admit.
COs, nurses, contractors—they’re the ones walking it in.
Why? Because they make more off us than they ever would out there.

And when that dope hits the yard?
It’s chaos.
Debts pile up. People get stabbed over $5 worth of pills.
Guys rob each other in the night, cutting open mattresses, stealing comissary, stealing photos, stealing the only damn things some men have left from the outside.

Then they pretend it's all under control.

You ever seen a man OD in his cell and the nurse take 40 minutes to show up—just to say “he’s faking” and walk out?
I have.
More than once.

And when someone snaps under the pressure?
When they beg for help, for meds, for therapy?
They throw you in suicide watch like you’re a threat instead of a human being in crisis.
Strip you naked. Put you in a freezing room.
Leave you there, humiliated and broken, hoping you just shut up next time.

There’s no peace in here.
There’s no dignity.
You get disrespected by people in blue, and you get disrespected by the ones in orange.
Sometimes the COs are more dangerous than the inmates.

This system?
It don’t want to fix you.
It wants to break you just enough so you keep coming back.

But I’m not giving them that.

I’ve been beat down, spit on, lied about, locked down, jumped, gassed, humiliated.
But I’m still standing.

Because I’ve got something most don’t have in here:

A reason.
A woman who believes in me.
A future I refuse to let them steal from me.

So yeah, this is prison.
No sugarcoating.
No fake hope.

But even in the darkest parts of this place, I still find my light.
And every day I survive, I’m one step closer to coming home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...