Skip to main content

What the World Gets Wrong About Us

 


-by Ryan

When people hear the word “inmate,” they think they know me already. They think we are all the same—violent, heartless, lost causes.

Let me set the record straight real quick:

"We’re All Violent."                                                                                                             The news loves showing riots and fights. What they don’t show is the real majority: Men teaching GED classes. Writing music. Drawing, reading, learning, just trying to stay human in a place that tries to strip that from you.

"We Don’t Care About Family."

I hear it all the time—

“If you loved your family, you wouldn’t have ended up in there.”

That’s straight-up bullshit. I’ve seen grown men cry in their bunks over a missed birthday, a letter that never showed up, a death in the family they couldn’t be there for. Hell, I'm one of them!

You don’t know real guilt until you sit in a cell alone at night realizing you hurt the people you love most.

And I’ll be honest—All I care about now is having just that. A real family. My people. But because of my mistakes, a lot of them walked away. Harsh words. Cold silence. People who said they loved me once but clearly show they don’t anymore.

That used to eat me alive.

But now, I’m a married man. I’m building my own family with my wife. And it hit me: The ones that forgot me don’t matter anymore.

I’m finally learning to heal from that. Because I ain’t here to chase people who let me go. I’m here to hold tight to the ones still holding me down.

"We Can’t Change."

I get it. I’ve been back in this system more times than I care to count. I own that. But don’t get it twisted. This is my last bid. I stand ten toes down on that.

Not everybody in here is content to rot. Some of us are fighting like hell not to. Reading. Learning. Growing. Trying to walk out different than we walked in.

For me? I finally have a life worth coming home to. And staying home with.

I’ve got a reason now. And I won’t trade that for nothing—not another cell, not another high, not another dumb-ass choice.

"Our Wives or Girlfriends Are Stupid for Loving Us."

Let me say this plain: Loving someone in prison ain’t weakness. It’s strength.

It takes a strong woman to ride this bid with a man like me. My wife ain’t stupid. She’s loyal. And loyalty’s rarer than diamonds in this world.

You especially don’t get to judge her or speak on her for sharing MY truth through this walk of life. For blogging. For advocating. For speaking up when I can’t.

I’ll back that woman 888% to the grave.

Nobody will ever judge her in my presence. Nobody will ever shame her for standing beside me when others walked away.

That’s my wife. That’s my peace. That’s my home.

So the next time somebody wants to throw labels at us—“Criminal.” “Lost cause.” “Prison wife.” “Foolish.”

Tell them: We don’t live for their approval. We live for each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exposing the Deadly Reality at La Palma Correctional Facility: How Many More Have to Die?

For years, La Palma Correctional Facility in Eloy, Arizona, has been a hotspot for controversy, yet little has been done to address the rampant corruption, officer misconduct, and systemic failures that have turned it into a living hell for those incarcerated within its walls. Most recently, another inmate has died—one of many whose deaths could have been prevented if those in charge had taken real action instead of covering up their negligence. On January 2, 2025, I fought to have my husband moved out of La Palma due to the sheer volume of drugs flooding the yard, which were being brought in by correctional officers. I reported specific names to the Special Security Unit (SSU), thinking that doing the right thing would bring change. Instead, my concerns fell on deaf ears. Now, here we are, with more inmates losing their lives—many of these deaths are suspected overdoses, yet little to no investigation ever seems to result in actual change. A History of Negligence and Deaths This lates...

Two Years for Corruption. Seven Years for Addiction.

  There’s something I can’t shake today. And honestly… it makes me sick. I just read about a correctional officer at the same prison my husband is sitting in right now —Lewis Prison Complex—who was caught smuggling heroin, fentanyl, and cell phones into the facility. Not using. Not struggling. Not trying to survive addiction. Smuggling. Trafficking. Profiting. Investigators didn’t just catch him once either. This wasn’t some “bad decision” moment. This was a full investigation—months long—with surveillance, evidence, and tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of drugs tied to it. Let me say that again… A man with a badge, authority, and access was bringing poison into a prison —into a place already filled with men fighting addiction, trauma, and survival every single day. Now here’s the part that I cannot wrap my head around… My husband is serving seven years for doing drugs. Seven years. For addiction. For a battle that started when he was a child—before he even had ...

Four days.

That is what is left. Four days until I walk through prison gates; not as the correctional officer I once was, not as the prison wife who has spent years fighting this system from the outside, not as the advocate who knows policies, procedures, inmate numbers, classifications, grievances, disciplinary reports, and all the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with incarceration. In four days, I walk through those gates as an inmate. And I am fucking terrified. There. I said it. I am terrified. Six days ago, I wrote a blog called This Isn't Goodbye. It's the Chapter Before I Come Home. I wrote about faith. I wrote about trusting God. I wrote about believing that He would go with me. I wrote about trusting the Author even though I couldn't skip ahead and read the ending. Today? Today I cursed at that Author. Today I told God I fucking hate Him. Those exact words. Not a cleaned-up Christian version of anger. Not, “Lord, I'm struggling to understand Your plan.” Not, “Father, ple...